Cutting Wine Bottles for the Light
I picked out these beautiful blue champagne bottles to make my pendant light with. I had only one extra; so I had to score and get the cuts perfect.
This is the tool I used to score each bottle. I bought it at Hobby Lobby and it has lasted a long time!
So, when I scored each bottle; I made sure to score each line as deep as I possibly could. I find this helps to get a good cut every time.
Here is what the score lines looked like
Next; I put some water to boil in my kettle. (Sorry about the dirty stove)
Once the water is boiling, carefully carry the kettle over to the sink and start the cold water in the sink. Holding each bottle by the neck, away from the score line, pour the boiling water directly onto the score lines of the bottle. I always put a dish towel on the bottom of the sink to minimize breakage. Turn the bottle with the other hand. You want each side to heat up evenly. Do this for about 10 seconds. Then hold under the cold water for about 10-15 seconds. Repeat each step. It may take 3-4 times for each bottle; but eventually the bottom will fall off.
Here are the bottles with their bottoms
Be careful!! The edges are very sharp and will cut. Next; each edge had to be sanded for at least five minutes inside and outside of the bottle.








Comments
Post a Comment